What am I up to now? (Instagram)

Thursday, May 14, 2015

Mother's day


I did this piece specifically for Mother's Day. Inspired by some of my fondest memories of my childhood with my mother. Living in the US (my parents resides in Hong Kong), I sorely miss her cooking, as I'm sure most of you out there can relate. Nothing beats Mom's cooking!



Used this opportunity to try out a new technique. Basically after my initial lighter layers of watercolor are dry, I used a scoring pen to indent the watercolor paper, leaving patterns to indicate the steam, smoke and aroma of a home cooked meal. Then I added a layer of color pencil on top.

This is a very personal piece to me. This year for the first time in my entire LIFE, I forgot my mother's birthday! I was so filled with guilt and sadness! Not that my mother was mad or made me feel bad, she was actually fine with it. We are a very easy going family. In fact, I recall her forgetting my birthday last year. I was just so sad that I have become so preoccupied with my life that I'm starting to lose track of my family back home. My parents have sacrificed so much for my brother and I. They worked hard their entire life and saved money for our future. Now my brother and I are both living in the US, and I only visit every 2-3 years, the least I can do is to remember their birthday! Plus, I've always been proud of remembering all my family's birthday.(unlike my father and brother cough* cough*)


So right after that, I immediately started working on a card for my mother. Finished it a month before mother's day and mailed her a large size print early. I ordered some postcards too to spread the love! Cheers to Mother's everywhere!


1 comment:

Tracy Onoz said...

I like the illustration and appreciate that you shared that technique. Nifty!